The Government is acting decisively in the national interest to support households and businesses and address the significant economic consequences of the Coronavirus.
While the full economic effects from the virus remain uncertain, the outlook has deteriorated since the Government’s initial Economic Response announced on 12 March 2020.
The spread of the virus worldwide has broadened, and is expected to be more prolonged. Governments, both international and domestic, have announced stricter mitigation measures to slow the spread of the virus, which are having significant economic impacts.
On 30 March, the Government announced the $130 billion JobKeeper Payment to help keep Australians in jobs as we deal with the significant economic impact from the Coronavirus. This brings the Government’s total support for the economy to $320 billion across the forward estimates, representing 16.4 per cent of annual GDP.
The best source for information and to stay up to date on all stimulus measures is to visit:
The Department of Health is closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic. Our information provides daily updates, answering your questions about the latest news, current facts and figures, travel advice, key contact and phone numbers.
The Australian Government’s health response to the COVID-19 outbreak aims to:
- Minimise the number of people becoming infected or sick with COVID-19
- Minimise how sick people become and the mortality rate
- Manage the demand on our health systems
- Help you to manage your own risk and the risk to your family and community
Who manages the response:
State and territory governments are mainly responsible for health matters.
When a major health issue like COVID-19 faces our country, they:
- Work together with the Australian Government
- Share information so they can provide the best possible care
- Ensure the response is consistent and integrated across the country
- The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) makes key decisions and coordinates this response.
The AHPPC is made up of:
- The Chief Health Officers from each state and territory
- The Chief Medical Officer
- Representatives from key departments
- It meets daily to assess the risk to Australia and recommend public health actions. The AHPPC endorsed the Government’s emergency response plan.
The Australian Government has put together a team of widely respected clinicians, led by the Chief Medical Officer, to assist with the COVID-19 response.
For this advice and more go to: